Saturday, February 5, 2011

A New York State of Mind...




As I sit and scroll through countless numbers of photos of New York City, it reminds me that New York is not only home but a true melting pot. Whether taking a daring hike through 'Chinatown,' whistling and skipping through Central Park, playing hop scotch between New York and New Jersey on the GWB (George Washington Bridge) or introducing someone to New York pizza, there is just no place like it in the world. Fashion, Broadway, Wall Street, Times Square, where shall we begin...


In March my husband and I will be taking a much needed vacation to the East Coast for a non-stop adventure. Living in LA, whenever we make it to the east coast, we have so much to do, so many people to see and just not enough time. During these 12 days, we will visit Atlanta, Raleigh, Greensboro, DC and my favorite city in the whole wide world, NYC. James (my husband) has never been to New York and I feel like we need to spend the whole 12 days in NY because I don't feel like I can be the great tour guide I am and show him everything NY has to offer. But because we live in the real world and there is a little something called "work," I guess we will have to make do. I am originally from NY, a small little town, a township to be exact, I don't think we have been given the title of 'city' just yet, nonetheless, New Rochelle, NY is where I call home. Being a poor child in New Rochelle, you couldn't image that this little town had so much to offer outside of your project community. I took the liberty to drum up little unknown facts about this town: home of "The Dick Van Dyke," tv show, Donald Trump built a world recognized Trump Plaza on Huguenot Street, New Rochelle resident J. Fred Coots wrote Santa Claus Is Coming To Town which is one of the biggest best sellers in American musical history (Yup, I did some research :-) and Denzel Washington is from a small city called Mount Vernon which is 10 minutes up Lincoln Ave (the main street in New Rochelle). Hey, we take what we can get.


That's a photo of New Roc City, which is the remodeled mall in New Rochelle. Now before I let this turn into pages and pages of me just blabbing about New Rochelle, I will use this post to highlight fifteen places we must visit while there.

15. The Statue of Liberty (Hey, we are there, might as well) 14. A Sabrett hot dog stand (You have to get a hot dog off the street) 13. Coney Island (just to go on the rides) 12. Yankee Stadium (which is now more known for those damn yankee fitted hats than anything else) 11. Each of the five boroughs (Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan and Queens) 10. Chelsea Piers (the lighthouse, the skyrink, my favorite pizza parlor, I can't wait) 9. The Hamptons (we are just too close to not go, I haven't been either, so we shall see what all the fuss is about) 8. The GWB (the George Washington Bridge, we will park in NJ and walk across the state line, just to say we did it) 7. Times Square (It won't be the same as if we were to visit on New Years Eve, but a great landmark nonetheless) 6. The AVE (you have to be a NY'er to understand, but one word: shopping) 5. The TOWNS (chinatown, koreatown, little Italy, another one of those 'just to say we've been' places) 4. MSG (Madison Square Garden to catch a Knicks game or heck, we will even take the Nets) 3. Central Park (I have to show him where they filmed one of my favorite holiday movies, "Home Alone" LOL) 2. Play Land (Sorry, it's a Westchester County thing) drum roll please .... 1. New Rochelle, NY (not only is it where I grew up, but it is also where my grandmother and mother are buried and I can't leave town without laying the prettiest and freshest flowers by their head stone)

No comments:

Post a Comment